Tuesday 27 May 2014

IBS - Altered Photo Frame

Today I have created something a bit unusual for me for my DT post at Inspired by Stamping

While in Spain, I was so lucky to see Florence at work in her craft room. The altered books, frames, LP's etc are just incredible. Flo gave me some great tips when it came to painting a frame and giving it a distressed look. Thanks Flo!

 I haven’t altered a frame before and I am sure I have much to learn. But, here is my attempt.
I have used the new Basket of Flowers stamp set to create my picture for my frame.


I bought a frame from a local craft shop, covered it with gesso (yes, Flo, I bought gesso!). Once dry, I painted it with a brown acrylic paint and then pvc glue. While the glue was still ‘tacky’, I painted over it with white acrylic paint. This gives you a wonderful distressed look (thanks Florence!!!)


A few splatters of paint and twine finished off the frame.
I stamped my image and then coloured it with acrylic paints too. Using a very small brush, I was able to control the paint very well.


I wasn’t very neat, I just painted using different strokes to create texture on the flower pot.

This project was actually quite easy. The time consuming part is the preparation of the frame and the drying time between painting. With practice I hope to become as good as my mentor!! lol


4 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie - thanks for sharing this fabulous technique (thanks to Flo too)! The frame is awesome! So pleased you had a great time on your spectacular holiday! - hugs, Sylvia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love it. You have made a wonderful job "our" Kylie Ann. :) Great idea to add extra paint splatters and twine. Thank you for your kind words. We both miss you!!!!
    Hugs Flo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your frame Kylie I'd pay good money for that:) it must have been wonderful to see all Flo's wonderful artwork!
    Val x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! its just beautiful thanks so much Kylie for the inspo and sharing this AMAZING piece of art...I wouldn't mind a class doing that thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - they make my day!!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.